Thursday, May 12, 2011

Hello! My name is Ee-vet!

Another early morning for Melissa and I. I woke up around 4:30am with no hope of going back to sleep. Expecting Sandip, Melissa and I got ready for our first day at the office. Sandip arrived around 11:30am, then took us on the route to the MAITRI office. Upon arrival, we met the kind and welcoming Mr. Jolly-Sir, the Director of MAITRI.

Our office visit was pleasant. During our stay, we were given the chance to use the computers and internet. Without hesitation, I planted myself in front of a screen and began to read and respond to emails. Following my internet extravaganza, we had the pleasure of meeting Sonal Ma’am, the CEO of MAITRI. She was warm and accommodating. Soon after, we returned home for lunch and awaited the visit of Anita and Priyanka; our kind tour guides who would take us to purchase traditional Indian clothing at the G.K. Market (Part I).

On our way to G.K., Anita and Priyanka were advised to return to the office. While I was anxious to purchase some clothing, returning to the office turned out to be the highlight of the day. Instead of entering the office, we followed the stairs down, into the basement, where the education tutorials take place. There we were greeted by a group of beautiful, smiling, and energized children who in unison exclaimed “Hello Ma’am!”, while standing at their desks. Walking through a narrow path found between the desks and the wall, the children crowded around us and extended a handshake and a smile. After shaking the hands of 16 children, more or less, we found our way to the back where we located some vacant desks in the colors yellow and blue. The children were incredibly curious and bright-eyed. Slowly, they each made their way to the back of the classroom, where Meli and I were seated, and practiced introducing themselves “Hello, my name is ...” To which I would reply “Hello, my name is Ee-vet. Nice to meet you!” All of them were very intelligent, but I was struck by one child, who despite surviving a brain tumor (illustrated by the concave shape of his left hemisphere), was able to articulate his name, and the names of all of his family members by order. Following his introduction, he kindly asked to sit next to us which he did until the end of the tutorial.

Throughout our visit, other children demonstrated their linguistic abilities as they giggled shyly. At one point the entire group sang “Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star” (which reminded me greatly of my Little Boo)... it was awesome! Then they asked us to teach them a new rhyme. At first, Melissa and I couldn't think of one, but finally Meli suggested a modified version of “Mary had a little lamb.” They learned it very quickly and sang it sporadically throughout the remainder of the tutorial. I have a feeling I will be spending lots of time with and getting to know them. :)

Without getting to lengthy, our evening ended with a loving farewell on behalf of the MAITRI children (car milege- see you tomorrow!), a shopping trip to G.K where I purchased my first traditional Indian outfit, and a rickshaw ride home.

Note to self: must be diligent about learning Hindi. At least when it comes to riding rickshaws and purchasing food.